Snowshoeing is easy and does not require any prior knowledge. If you can walk, you can snowshoe. Snowshoeing is a winter experience that gives you a close encounter with nature. You’ll get lots of fresh air, some exercise and at the same time enjoy snowy forests, silence and wilderness.
Snowshoeing is a good way to enjoy the snow if you are not steady on a pair of skis. The snowshoe trip is fully guided, and we’ll provide you with the necessary gear. To maximise your chances of having a great experience, it’s important to dress warmly.
Bodø offers a wide variety of tour options. We will choose the right one depending on the weather, snow conditions and the group. Winter walking nearby Bodø is a good choice if you want to spend a day outdoors during your visit to Northern Norway.
Daytime Snowshoe Trips are a great way to enjoy the winter landscape and the Arctic wilderness near Bodø. We’ll have plenty of time to enjoy the nature, and on a guided tour you can immerse yourself in new knowledge about the Norwegian nature.
Arctic Night Snowshoe Hike? A bit adventurous? Then consider a mysterious evening snowshoe hike, which could be your chance to see the Northern Lights. You’ll then get a feeling of a winter night above the Arctic Circle. During the hike, we’ll stop by for a break, make an open fire and enjoy a hot drink brewed in a black pot.
With regards to the snowshoeing trip, this blew me away. We were shown beautiful photographic spots, which were out of this world!! The snowshoeing was great fun, even to us novices, again beautiful scenery culminating with building our own fire and enjoying our stunning snowy surroundings.
Minimum 2 people.
Check Currency Calculator to convert into your currency.
Moderate. Please see details below.
A total of 4 - 6 hours, including transport from/to downtown Bodø.
Group size & Capacity
Min: 2 people. Available for groups. Please see details below.
Season & Availability
Winter (of course). December - March (April).
Meeting pointClick for larger map
Do I need any outdoor experience?
Is this trip for me? This trip is designed for intermediates. You don’t need any specific skills. That said you should have some outdoor experience in walking before you arrive. Snowshoeing demands good health and a minimum of coordination skills.
Grading: this trip is graded as Moderate – Blue grading.
Minimum age: Our recommended minimum age for children is around age 10.
Terrain, distance and elevation
Terrain: Low mountain forests typical to Northern Norway (pine and birch). Near to lakes and mountains. Normally no paths, slightly rugged terrain and some hills.
Total length: Approx. 20 km by minibus or car each way to reach the starting point. The length of the actual snowshoe trip will be adapted to suit the group. A typical snowshoeing trip will normally be no longer than 2 – 3 km unless you are really keen to do a full-day hike?
Elevation: The starting point is typically 20 metres above sea level, while the maximum elevation on the snowshoe trip will be no more than 100 m a.s.l.
What do I need to bring?
You should bring
Your own hiking gear suitable for winter.
Good footwear (warm hiking boots or winter boots).
A small daypack for your snack, camera and some extra clothing.
We will provide
Snowshoes, hiking poles and gaiters.
A knowledgeable, English-speaking guide with a sense of humour and passion for winter hiking.
Quality headlamps for evening hikes, which make the trips enjoyable even during the winter darkness.
Return transfers from downtown Bodø to the starting point and back again after the trip are included in the tour price.
Where and when do we meet
- The meeting point is by the Tourist Information in Bodø (Google maps).. Please see map above.
- Meeting time: We operate this tour at fixed times. Please see start times in the booking calendar.
Group size - We prefer small groups
- The typical group size for our trips range from 2 to 15. We prefer to keep the group size as small as possible for these trips, which improves the experience for the participants and guide alike. NB: We don’t mix private group trips with solo travellers.
- What is the minimum number of participants? To run this tour, a minimum of two people must book. If this minimum is not met, we reserve the right to cancel the tour. You will then have the option of being rebooked on an alternative date or receiving a full refund.
Can I book if I’m on my own?
- Yes, you can! The groups on several of our trips are made up of solo travellers. You are welcome to come on your own and make new friends.
- Private tour as solo traveller? If you are the only one to book but you wish to go ahead with the tour on your original date, another option is to book a private tour. In this case, you will need to pay for the minimum number of participants required.
Weather cancellation policy
Naturally, snowshoeing requires snow! Bodø is located on the Northern Norwegian coast, which means the snow cover near the town centre varies during the wintertime. However, it is far more stable in inland areas just a short drive from town. Don’t worry – we will find the snow!
There is normally no need to cancel this trip due to weather. The only exception is extremely strong wind and/or heavy rain. If the weather gets too bad, we will consider choosing alternative routes or experiences.