A boat trip to Saltstraumen is one of the classic things to do in Bodø. Enjoy scenic landscapes, fjords, winter light and steep mountains raising straight from the sea. By joining our Targa boat, you are certain your boat trip to Saltstraumen will be comfortable even in the wintertime.
Winter fjord safari: Naturally, the Saltstraumen tidal current is of course the highlight of this boat trip. During this exciting trip you will enjoy scenic winter landscapes, fjords, steep mountains raising straight from the sea, beautiful coastal nature and changing winter light. You will be comfortable on board the boat, which offers ample room inside and out. You can walk around the deck or sir in comfort in the heated saloon.
Spotting a sea eagle? During the boat trip you will also have a great opportunity to spot the white-tailed sea eagle. Bodø and Saltstraumen is well known as one of the best areas to see these large birds in the wild.
Saltstraumen tidal current is one of Norway’s more unusual natural wonders and is claimed as the largest tidal current in the world. Saltstraumen is created when the tide fills or empties the Skjerstad fjord. The 150 m wide strait then appears like a very strong river. Up to 400 million cubic metres of seawater forces its way through the 150 m wide strait every six hours.
When to be there? We plan the trip to ensure you will be in the middle of the current when it is at its strongest.
My daughter and I had a most enjoyable trip with skipper Knut yesterday. He is a very pleasant host and provided good information about the Saltstraumen. We appreciated his helping us spot the sea eagles, too! The boat was conveniently located and comfortable - coffee was most welcome. For me the sea was a bit rough but my daughter loved the exciting ride!
Minimum 4 people.
Check Currency Calculator to convert into your currency.
Easy. Most people can participate in this activity. Please see details below.
The boat trip lasts approx. 2 hours (Bodø - Saltstraumen - Bodø).
Group size & Capacity
Maximum 10 people. Please note: we require a minimum of 4 people to operate this trip. Please see details below.
Season & Availability
December - March.
Meeting pointClick for larger map
Can everyone participate in this trip?
Yes, most people can participate. The objective is to experience the sea, Saltstraumen and the nature, rather than drive as fast as possible. Please note that this trip will be adapted to suit your wishes and the prevailing weather conditions.
Minimum age: The recommended minimum age is 6 years. Children under 14 should be accompanied by one adult each.
What to bring and how to prepare for the trip
You should bring
- Warm clothing and sturdy casual shoes.
We will provide
- Targa boat with world-class seaworthiness, known to be the “SUV of the Seas”.
- Heated indoor saloon with windows in all directions to ensure wonderful views. There is a toilet on the boat.
- Warm windproof flotation suit (if required).
- English-speaking skipper with all commercial licences.
Can I book if I’m on my own?
Yes, you can! The groups on several of our trips are made up of solo travellers. You are welcome to come on your own and make new friends. The boat is certified for 12 passengers, but in order to maximize your experience we do not take more than 10 guests on a day trip.
Where and when do we meet
The trip starts in downtown Bodø.
- The meeting point is by the guest marina in downtown Bodø. Look for the floating dock just in front of the Stormen Library vis a vis Radisson Blu Hotel. Enter the floating dock and find the Targa boat at the end of the dock. Please see map above.
- The meeting time is automatically shown on the booking calendar once you choose your preferred date for the boat trip.
Group size - We prefer small groups
- The maximum group size for this trip is 10 people. We prefer to keep the group size as small as possible for these trips, which improves the experience for the participants and skipper alike.
- What is the minimum number of participants? To run this tour, a minimum of 4 people must book. If this minimum is not met, we reserve the right to cancel the tour. You will then have the option of being rebooked on an alternative date or receiving a full refund.
When is Saltstraumen at its strongest?
The times when the current is at its strongest vary from day to day. The times listed on our booking calendar are the optimal start times for the boat trip to Saltstraumen from Bodø – you will then experience Saltstraumen tidal current at its strongest!
If you want to experience Saltstraumen by boat at its absolute strongest (meaning stronger than normal), it’s worth noting that Saltstraumen is extra lively just after a Full Moon and New Moon. Please note that the strength of the current also depends on the tide.
Weather cancellation policy
The boat trip to Saltstraumen will be postponed if it’s too windy and/or the waves are too high. If weather turns too bad, we will either offer you an alternative trip or a full refund of the total price.
How good is the safety on board?
We focus on your safety and wellbeing throughout the trip. Boat trips with 12 or fewer guests are covered by the provisions of the Regulations concerning the operation of vessels that transport 12 passengers or fewer, etc. The trips are implemented pursuant to these regulations, and the skipper and boat are certified for the activity.
We start all trips by reviewing the safety on board and make several stops along the way to check that everyone is OK. We adapt the trip to suit the participants.