Want to join us for a moose safari in Northern Norway? Experience the thrill of a close meeting with the moose, the largest land animal in Europe. We head out to areas where there is a good chance to see the moose grazing. Our guarantee to you is: No moose seen, no pay!
The Moose is quite shy and is easily scared back into the woods, but normally they are quite co-operative and allow us to get quite near. We know the habits and life of the moose and where we have the best chances to see them.
Elg – the moose is called Elg in Norway, but the moose is not comparable with the american elk. The elk (cervus canadensis) , however, is an entirely different deer (much smaller).
Largest in Europe – the moose is Europes largest land animal, also the largest member in the deer family. A fully grown bull are over 2 meters high at the shoulders and weighs up to 750 kg (1650 lb). Cows seldom weighs more than 470 kg (1035 lb).
Minimum 4 people.
Check Currency Calculator to convert into your currency.
Easy. Everyone can join. Please see details below.
An average trip will last 4 – 6 h. including transport from/to downtown Bodø.
Group size & Capacity
Maximum size of a group is 15. Please see details below.
Season & Availability
June - August. The absolute best season for a moose safari in Norway is summer.
Meeting pointClick for larger map
Do I need any outdoor experience?
Is this trip for me? This trip is in no way strenuous. Everyone can join. Normally we do not leave the vehicle. If we do, the moose will see that we are humans, and it will run away. If you have any kind of physical disability, please inform us at least 48 h. prior to departure.
Grading: this trip is graded as Easy.
Minimum age: reccomended minimum age is 6 years.
Terrain, distance and elevation
We go by car or a small bus to areas some 40 km away from Bodø.
The moose safari trip will also include a stop by Saltstraumen, the strongest maelstrom in the world. You can walk the bridge and look down in to the powerful whirlpools.
What do I need to bring?
You should bring
- Be sure to bring your camera.
- Personal clothing due to the weather.
- A small day pack or handbag.
- Drink and snacks.
We will provide
- A knowledgeable, English-speaking guide.
- Transportation by car or minibus.
- A visit at Saltstraumen.
Where and when do we meet
- The meeting point is by the Tourist Information in Bodø. Please see map above.
- Meeting time: We operate this tour at fixed times. Please see start times in the booking calendar.Best time for the moose safari is either during the evening or early morning.
Group size - We prefer small groups
- Typical group size for our trips range from 2 to 10 (15). We prefer to keep the group size as small as possible for these trips, which improves the experience for the participants and guide alike.
- What is the minimum number of participants? To run this tour, a minimum of four people must book. If this minimum is not met, we reserve the right to cancel the tour. You will then have the option of being rebooked on an alternative date or receiving a full refund.
- Larger groups: Moose safari for larger groups are also available, then we will we divide the group into smaller groups of 15 – 16 people, each of which trip are accompanied by their own guide and one minibus.
Can I book if I’m on my own?
- Yes, you can! The groups on several of our trips are made up of solo travellers. You are welcome to come on your own and make new friends.
- Private tour as solo traveller? If you are the only one to book but you wish to go ahead with the tour on your original date, another option is to book a private tour. In this case, you will need to pay for the minimum number of participants required.
Weather cancellation policy
This trip is not dependent on weather conditions.