Åselidalen is a beautiful valley carved out by glaciers some hundreds of thousands of years ago. Crystal clear mountain lakes and waterfalls surrounded by peaks is what you’ll find today. Starting from Bodø, the valley is a perfect place for a moderate hiking day trip in Northern Norway.
Bodø is known for excellent hiking options, its diverse landscape and the easy access to the mountainsides. If you’re a hiking enthusiast, you should add the area to your bucket list.
All levels: Bodø offers a broad selection of easier hiking tours for beginners as well as more challenging hiking routes. However, most of the routes remain well off the beaten track for most tourists.
The Hidden Valley: The Børvasstindane mountain range contains the signature mountains of Bodø. Åselidalen – “The Hidden Valley” – cuts into the mountains between the mountain ridges Åselitindan and Falkflågtindan.
Peaks: The valley is surrounded by jagged peaks, all over 1,000 metres above sea level. Two of them, PerKalsa and Børtind, are favourites among the locals heading for a steep day hike.
The valley was beautiful, a hike location that we would not have found on our own. Ivar gave us a truly personalized hiking experience. We were in the valley for hours, completely alone. The kids enjoyed the simple luxury of drinking from trickling streams...
Minimum 2 people.
Check Currency Calculator to convert into your currency.
Moderate. Please see details below.
A total of 6 - 8 hours, including transport from/to downtown Bodø.
Group size & Capacity
Min: 2 people. Available for groups. Please see details below.
Season & Availability
May - September. May be possible in wintertime, weather permitting.
Meeting pointClick for larger map
Do I need any outdoor experience?
Is this trip for me? This trip is designed for beginners and intermediates. You should have some outdoor experience in walking and hiking before you arrive.
Grading: This trip is graded as Medium – Blue grading.
Terrain, distance and elevation
Terrain: You must be able to walk on trails in slightly hilly and rugged terrain.
Total length: Approx. 4 km up and down (8 – 12 km if we choose the extended trip*).
Elevation: From starting point 60 metres above sea level to lake Åselivatnet 160 m a.s.l.
Two optional routes:
The standard trip: Ends by the upper Lake Åselivatnet and follows almost the same route back.
*The extended trip: Possible if everyone in group can do this hike and the weather permits. This option includes a bit more rugged terrain and one particularly steep section. The total distance will range from 8 to 12 km.
What do I need to bring?
You should bring
- Your own hiking gear suitable for the prevailing wind and weather conditions.
- Good footwear (hiking boots or sturdy running shoes) is an advantage.
- A small daypack for your snack, camera and some extra clothing.
We will provide
- A knowledgeable, English-speaking guide with a sense of humour and passion for this area.
- Return transfers from downtown Bodø to the starting point and back again after the trip are included in the tour price.
Where and when do we meet
- The meeting point is by the Tourist Information in Bodø (Google maps).. Please see map above.
- Meeting time: We operate this tour at fixed times. Please see start times in the booking calendar.
Group size - We prefer small groups
- The typical group size for our trips range from 2 to 15. We prefer to keep the group size as small as possible for these trips, which improves the experience for the participants and guide alike.
- What is the minimum number of participants? To run this tour, a minimum of two people must book. If this minimum is not met, we reserve the right to cancel the tour. You will then have the option of being rebooked on an alternative date or receiving a full refund.
- Larger groups can easily join this trip. In such cases, we divide the group into smaller groups of 8-10 people, each of which will be accompanied by their own guide. NB: We don’t mix private group trips with solo travellers.
Can I book if I’m on my own?
- Yes, you can! The groups on several of our trips are made up of solo travellers. You are welcome to come on your own and make new friends.
- Private tour as solo traveller? If you are the only one to book but you wish to go ahead with the tour on your original date, another option is to book a private tour. In this case, you will need to pay for the minimum number of participants required.
Weather cancellation policy
Normally no need to cancel due to weather. The only exception is extremely strong wind and/or heavy rain.
If weather turns bad we will consider choosing alternative routes or experiences.