Dog sledding is an authentic winter experience where you can steer your own dog sled or enjoy the trip as a passenger. This dog sledding trip is for small groups only. No previous experience is needed to drive the sled into the white landscapes and enjoy the arctic nature and silence
Scenic drive from Bodø: The dog sledding trip starts with an hour’s scenic drive from Bodo through changing countryside, offering panoramic views of suburbs, fjords and mountains. We will also visit Saltstraumen, the strongest maelstrom in the world.
Meeting the dogs: Your dog sledding experience starts with meeting the dogs and preparing for the sled ride. They are a bunch of barking huskies eager to start the trip. Even though the dogs are noisy, they are friendly and pleased to see us. They are well used to visitors, great with children and love getting your attention and petting.
Ready for the husky safari? You will now be advised how to harness the dogs, get instructions how to drive a dog sledding team and steer your sledge. Once everything is ready, the big moment arrives as your guide helps you launch your sled and off you go!
Driving your own dog sled. Two persons share one dog team, you will have a chance to switch who is the driver and passenger. The dogs are now completely silent and all you can hear is their breathing. The dogs love pulling the sled and will understand your commands. The actual dog sledding will be 1-2 hours, depending on conditions.
Minimum 2 people.
Check Currency Calculator to convert into your currency.
Moderate. Please see details below.
A total of 6 - 8 hours, including transport from/to downtown Bodø. The actual dog sledding will be 1-2 h. Meet on location is possible, please see details below.
Group size & Capacity
2 - 8 people. Larger groups on request.
Season & Availability
December - March (April).
Meeting pointClick for larger map
Do I need any outdoor experience?
Is this trip for me? This trip is designed for intermediates. You don’t need any specific skills, but good fitness and mobility are an advantage. The dogs do most of the work but the trip is somewhat physically demanding as you will need to help the dogs when we are going uphill.
Grading: this trip is graded as Moderate – Blue grading.
More about the grading system in Norway.
Minimum age: our recommended minimum age for dog sledding with children is around age 10.
Terrain, distance and elevation
What do I need to bring?
You should bring
- Your own gear suitable for winter.
- Good footwear (warm hiking boots or winter boots).
- A small daypack for your snack, camera and some extra clothing.
We will provide
- A knowledgeable, English-speaking guide with passion for dog sledding.
- Return transfers from downtown Bodø to the starting point and back again after the trip are included in the tour price.
Where and when do we meet?
Meeting point Bodø
- The meeting point is by the Tourist Information in Bodø. Please see map above.
- Meeting time: We operate this tour at fixed times. Please see start times in the booking calendar.
Meet on location?
If you do not need transportation back and forth from Bodø and want to meet up on location (e.g if you have a rental car) you simply choose `Meet on location` rather than `Standard rate` when booking.
- How to get there?
From Bodø via Saltstraumen: follow route 812 to Misvær village, then follow 812 for 8 km, turn right by sign marked `Vestvatn / Skianlegg / Arctic Cabins`, then 100 m and you will see a large red house on your left. If you get lost on the way please do not hesitate to call our office for help.
From E6 Saltdal Valley: follow route 812 direction to Misvær, then follow 812 for 25 km, turn left by sign marked `Vestvatn / Skianlegg / Arctic Cabins`, then 100 m and you will see a large red house on your left. If you get lost on the way please do not hesitate to call our office for help.
- Meeting time: When meeting us on location: add 1h 30 min to start time (and be prepared to wait for a while).
Group size - We prefer small groups
- The typical group size for our trips range from 2 to 15. We prefer to keep the group size as small as possible for these trips, which improves the experience for the participants and guide alike. NB: We don’t mix private group trips with solo travellers.
- What is the minimum number of participants? To run this tour, a minimum of two people must book. If this minimum is not met, we reserve the right to cancel the tour. You will then have the option of being rebooked on an alternative date or receiving a full refund.
Can I book if I’m on my own?
- Yes, you can! The groups on several of our trips are made up of solo travellers. You are welcome to come on your own and make new friends.
- Private tour as solo traveller? If you are the only one to book but you wish to go ahead with the tour on your original date, another option is to book a private tour. In this case, you will need to pay for the minimum number of participants required.
Weather cancellation policy
Naturally, dog sledding requires snow! Bodø is located on the Northern Norwegian coast, which means the snow cover near the town centre varies during the wintertime. The dog sledding trip will be operated in inland areas with far more stable snow conditions.
There is normally no need to cancel this trip due to weather. The only exception is extremely strong wind and/or heavy rain. If the weather gets too bad, we will consider choosing alternative routes or experiences.