Hovdsundet is a secluded beach in Bodø. Getting there is half the fun as it’s a challenging adventure on foot. Although the hike is difficult at times, the natural beauty makes it worth it. The trail offers a diversity of terrain from white-sand beaches, pine forests and coastal cliffs to pebble beaches.
Hovdsundet: It’s hard to believe that Hovdsundet Beach and Auvika Beach are north of the Arctic Circle. The highlight of this challenging coastal hike is the secluded beach Hovdsundet, one of the most beautiful and remote beaches in Bodø. It comes as no surprise that this beach has become a quite popular Instagram spot in Bodø.
With effort comes privacy: If you’re an experienced hiker and prefer hikes off the beaten track with rugged terrain, rocks and beaches, this is the hike for you! The hike is challenging, but your effort is rewarded with privacy. The upside is you won’t meet many others on your way.
Challenging: The hike to Hovdsundet Beach is perfect for those who are comfortable and experienced with backcountry hiking. This route may prove challenging for novices. Be prepared to use your entire body as the trail ascends and descends over cliffs and rocky outcrops.
Hovden round trip? Hovdsundet Beach is located at the tip of a peninsula. The normal route (easiest) follows the southern half of the peninsula in both directions, which is not as challenging as the northern part. If you convince us that you’re an experienced hiker, we might choose to go all in and plan for the complete round trip.
Minimum 2 people.
Check Currency Calculator to convert into your currency.
Moderate. Please see details below.
A total of 6 - 8 hours, including transport from/to downtown Bodø.
Group size & Capacity
Min: 2 pers. Available for groups. Please see details below.
Season & Availability
May - September. May be possible in wintertime, weather permitting.
Meeting pointClick for larger map
Do I need any outdoor experience?
Is this trip for me? This trip is designed for experienced hikers. You must have previous hiking experience and be able to overcome rocks (no climbing though) and rugged and uneven terrain.
Be prepared to use your entire body. There is minor exposure in a few places, so good balance and coordination skills are required.
Grading: This trip is graded as Challenging – Red grading – not so much for the length or elevation gain, but more for the challenging terrain.
Terrain, distance and elevation
Terrain: Sandy beaches, pebble beaches, coastal cliffs, rocks and sparse pine forests. Most of the route has no rock cairns or trail markers.
Total length: The hike itself is approx. 7 km round trip (same length for the round trip). The mileage from Bodø by car (or minibus) is 25 km.
Elevation: Most of the hike will follow the coastline (with some ups and downs). The highest point is no more than 75 metres above sea level.
What do I need to bring?
You should bring
- Your own hiking gear suitable for the prevailing wind and weather conditions.
- Good footwear (hiking boots or sturdy running shoes) is a must.
- A small daypack for your snack, camera and some extra clothing.
We will provide
- A knowledgeable, English speaking guide with a sense of humour and passion for this area.
- Transport from town centre to starting point and back to town after trip is included in the tour price.
Where and when do we meet
- The meeting point is by the Tourist Information in Bodø. Please see map above.
- Meeting time: We operate this tour at fixed times. Please see start times in the booking calendar.
Group size - We prefer small groups
- The typical group size for our trips range from 2 to 15. We prefer to keep the group size as small as possible for these trips, which improves the experience for the participants and guide alike. NB: We don’t mix private group trips with solo travellers.
- What is the minimum number of participants? To run this tour, a minimum of two people must book. If this minimum is not met, we reserve the right to cancel the tour. You will then have the option of being rebooked on an alternative date or receiving a full refund.
Can I book if I’m on my own?
- Yes, you can! The groups on several of our trips are made up of solo travellers. You are welcome to come on your own and make new friends.
- Private tour as solo traveller? If you are the only one to book but you wish to go ahead with the tour on your original date, another option is to book a private tour. In this case, you will need to pay for the minimum number of participants required.
Weather cancellation policy
It’s possible to hike all the way to Hovdsundet Beach on cloudy days with light rain. Even on a moody day, this hike will offer great views and experiences.
Please note: We only recommend the complete round trip (hiking around the entire peninsula) on fine days.
If the weather gets too bad, we will consider choosing alternative experiences.